Sunday 1 July 2012

An olympic party pooper

 The olympic torch came to our neighbourhood today.  I was in two minds as to whether to go or not, but because Ethan wanted to go and see it, and because he has been involved with a boys dance alliance dance that has been filmed especially to be shown in the Olympic arena, I figured it would be good for him to see it.  The others didn't fancy coming out early on a Sunday morning, so they stayed put!  I tried really hard to be positive about it, really I did.  I was explaining the whole ritual around the olympic flame, and trying to fight the feelings of being brainwashed that we HAD to go and see the flame. 

We got to the street, and there were so many people.  But there were also lots of street sellers, selling hooter things, and blow up olympic torches, union jack flags, even helium balloons of cartoon characters (which resulted in a tantrum from Sophie as she couldn't understand why I wouldn't let her have one, as this was definitely not what we came here for!)   I just couldn't help thinking of all these things being tossed aside as soon as the flame had gone past, never to be thought of again.

 We waited and waited, and eventually some police cars came through the crowds, followed by coaches blaring incredibly loud music, advertising various companies that were sponsoring the olympics.  The music was so loud I had to cover Sophie's ears.  Then after that there was nothing.  We were about to leave thinking that the coach carrying some people with olympic torches was it.  But a few moments later, we eventually saw the olympic torch and the torch bearer.  THAT was the bit we wanted to see, and it would have been so nice if it was there without all the corporate in your face type stuff.  I understand that the sponsorship is necessary for the torch relay to happen, but does it have to be so in your face?  And what in the world did the people on top of the coaches dancing away have to do with the olympics?  I just didn't get it at all!
It brought up alot of feelings, was I a bad parent for not buying a flag for them, because we had flags at home from the jubilee that I forgot to bring? (the flags they've got there were given to them by some one who took pity on them)  Was I a hypocrite for going when I didn't agree with the ridiculous amount of money that must have been spent on the flame doing it's route that is so back and forth up and down the country that is could only have been done by some random generator!  Was I just in the wrong frame of mind, or just not used to situations like this and found them completely overwhelming?  (possibly the latter, as going into a store with music playing is too much for me!) 

I'm certain that I wouldn't have gone if it hadn't have been for Ethan, and I hope he got something out of it, but I think I'll be steering clear of such things in the future.

8 comments:

  1. No you are NOT the only one - I felt exactly the same when the Torch came through Ledbury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it's not just me then, I wasa beginning to to feel like a real misery, as everyone else I spoke to thought it was wonderful!

      Delete
  2. I think it's great that you took the children there to see such a momentous event. They will be glad their mother was game for taking them. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of it like that. Thank you for seeing the positive side to it.

      Delete
  3. Hey, don't beat yourself up!! You did more than me. I said feebly to the children, "Should I be taking you to go and see the flame?" when I heard it was coming to our town. They weren't that bothered so I didn't bother, but I wonder if I should have made the effort so they can say "I saw the flame in 2012". I'm just not a carnival kind of person and I had to smile when you said you don't even like loud music in shops. Hear hear, I've been known to do a fast U-turn in shop doorways when assaulted by loud beat music when I'm trying to remember what I came in for.

    I wouldn't have bought a flag either, I don't buy those £5 whizzy lights things that they sell at the circus because they're too flippin expensive for what they are. I hate all that but I too have sat and felt like a rubbish parent. We have the Spalding Flower Parade virtually on our doorstep here and people come from all over the country to see the floats and yet I've never taken my children to go and see it!!! Now how is THAT for rubbish parent?? I don't go for all the reasons you stated - street sellers, overly-loud music, charity tins being rattled under your nose over and over and over again and just an air of carnival that I can never get excited about and frankly do without!!

    Give yourself a pat on the back for making the effort, it will be nice for your children to be able to say that they were there and nobody misses those crappy flags and stuff once the event is over anyway!! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who finds things like this just too much!

      Delete
  4. Ethan will remember that you took him because he wanted to go, if he's happy ... Mama's job is done.

    We're looking forward to going to see it here, we won't be buying the tat, we have flags we can take if we want to, there are steet entertainment, park entertainment things planned so it should be quite a good community event here - lots of more arty alternative things arranged. I think because we are going to some of the olympic events, dd is keen to see the torch as part of the build up, plus they are having an olympic themed week next week too.

    You should never feel brainwashed or badgered into doing something, but listening to your childrens desires is another thing x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think part of it too was not expecting all the extra stuff, I naively thought we were going to see just the Olympic torch! Hope you have a lovely time when it comes to you, and when you go to the Olympics itself.

      Delete

Pull up a chair, have a cuppa and some cake, and if you feel like it, leave a comment.
xx